Jane’s First Sweater

I finally have a moment to write!  The last few weeks have been busy to say the least and of course there is never a dull moment with a toddler.

I am very excited to share that I have officially cast-on my first sweater!  It has only taken me 6 months to work up the courage to begin a project like this.  For some reason, I have always thought that knitting sweaters would be incredibly exciting but viewed them as practically impossible for beginners and I would certainly need vast experience to even attempt one!  I was so pleasantly surprised to learn how wrong I was!

I chose (what looked like to me) a very simple, top-down, raglan sleeve sweater and chose the 12 month old baby size.  This free Flax Light Pullover by Tin Can Knits was shockingly simple to work through.  I was a little worried when I first started because I think I mentally prepared myself for difficulty but once I finally got into a rhythm and stuck to the pattern instructions, it was a breeze!

Since this is my first sweater, I took the liberty of making a modification for simplicity sake.  I chose not to incorporate the garter stitch stripe all the way down the sleeves.  I decided this of course after the first round where I started the garter stitch.  You can see a purl row at the very top of each sleeve but then I decided that I kind of liked it how it looked and just kept on knitting rather than ripping back to fix it.

Once I separated the sleeves onto scrap yarn, I a strange sort of pucker in the front and back of the sweater where I stopped increasing stitches for the sleeves.  I’m not really sure if this is supposed to be like this or if I have made a mistake.  It appears in all four increase sections.  I wonder if this will eventually lay flat once I’ve knit the sleeves?  Perhaps I was supposed to continue increasing a while longer before separating stitches?

As of right now, I have completed the body of the sweater and I’m waiting for some new double pointed needles to arrive in the mail so that I can finish the sleeves.  I definitely need to do a better job of taking photos of finished (or semi-progress) projects.  I remembered to snap the one below just after separating the sleeves.  I’ll try to capture the finished piece as soon as my new needles arrive.

I was so excited about knitting this sweater that I immediately cast on stitches to make Jane another one!  I’ll share some details on the next sweater soon.

happy knitting!

xoxo

 

Tin Can Knits – Flax Sweater This sweater was knit with US 7 needles and worsted acrylic yarn (got too much acrylic laying around)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s